Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Please click on the link below to view the brochure sent home to students:
Purchasing BYOD Devices:
There are 3 options for Purchasing BYOD Devices:
- Already Own a Device (Apple & Windows Devices)
- Purchasing from a Retail Store (Apple & Windows Devices)
- Purchasing through a custom Purchasing Portal
- CEDP Apple Purchasing Portal (Apple Devices)
- Computers Now Purchasing Portal (Apple & Windows Devices)
Purchasing Devices via Recommended Purchasing Portals?
We recommend using our Purchasing Portal options for various reasons, the main reasons being:
- Bundles have been negotiated to ensure the device you purchase meets all specifications for Nagle College
- The prices have been negotiated to ensure you as a parent are saving money
- The devices include On-site warranty, meaning if you have a warranty issue with your device then the manufacturer will either come to you to fix the issue, or will post out a replacement device to you. Both options mean less time you will be without your device
- For Computers Now, the device will be delivered to school allowing either students or parents to collect the devices from Nagle College.
- For Apple, devices can be either picked up in store, delivered to your home address or delivered to the school.
Please note delivery of devices is approximately 3 weeks, so please keep this in mind when purchasing from the Purchasing Portals
CEDP Apple Purchasing Portal (Apple Devices)
Catholic Education Diocese of Parramatta has negotiated special pricing for Apple products available to students of all CEDP schools, including Nagle College. These special pricing for Apple Products are available online via the Apple Purchase Portal at http://byod.parra.catholic.edu.au, or at either Penrith Westfield Apple Store or Castle Towers Apple Store. Please ensure if you are purchasing a device at an Apple Retail store that you say you are from a Nagle College, which is a CEDP School.
Computers Now Purchasing Portal (Apple and Windows Devices)
Nagle College has negotiated special pricing for Windows & Apple Devices for students of Nagle College.
To login to the Computers Now Purchasing Portal, go to www.compnow.com.au/parraceo
Follow the onscreen Quick Portal Introduction to familiarize yourself with how the Purchasing Portal works.
Ensure in Step 1 you enter your child’s name in the Full Name Box, select the appropriate device category and most importantly select Blacktown – Nagle College.
Browse and make the appropriate selection.
Purchasing a Device from a Retail Store (Apple & Windows Devices)
If you wish to purchase your students device from a Retail Store, please ensure that the device chosen meets all Device Specifications listed below. If the Device does not meet these specifications then the device will be unable to connect to the Nagle College Network.
We advise that you will need to pay extra attention to is ensuring the device is either Windows 10 Education, Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Professional, as well as having 5GHz 802.11n Wireless
Already Own a Device
If you already own a device and it meets all Device Specifications, including being either Windows 10 Education, Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Professional, we also ask that you ensure the device’s battery will last the 6 hour school day.
Minimum Device Specifications for BYOD:
- Have a screen larger than 7”
- Have a password/passcode to secure the device
- Adhere to WHS guidelines (i.e.: Not have exposed wires or a leaking battery).
- Adhere to one of the following :-
- Be a Mac Laptop with OS X 10.10 or higher
- Be an iPad 3rd generation or newer
- Be a Windows laptop or tablet with Windows 10 Education, Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Professional
NB: Windows Home Edition does not have the minimum required features to be able to be used securely on the Nagle College network, and therefore cannot be used. Windows Devices purchased through the Computers Now Purchasing Portal include Windows 10 Professional. Devices not purchased through the Purchasing Portal will need to be upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Education / Professional, which can be purchased at an additional from a retail store
- Minimum of 16GB available storage (at least 32GB or more recommended)
- Minimum 2GB RAM (At least 4GB or more recommended)
- Be compatible with WiFi 5GHz 802.11n (can also be 802.11abgn, 802.11agn, 802.11ac)
Please note Android-based devices are not compatible with nagle College's secure network, therefore Android-based devices cannot be used in the BYOD Program
Nagle College cannot connect Student's Mobile Phones or iPods
Enrolling Devices to the Nagle College Network
ALL devices must be enrolled to receive the correct network settings for the Nagle College Network, as well as to ensure all students receive secure & filtered network connectivity.
To have your BYOD device connected to the Nagle College Network, Nagle College ICT Staff will need to enrol your device. Nagle College ICT Staff will do one of the following:-
For a Mac – ICT will install a small application which will enrol the Mac into a Mac Management Server called Casper. This will allow the ICT team to automatically install the correct network settings (which can change frequently), as well as ensure the students receive secure & filtered network connectivity. ICT Staff cannot see any data on the student’s device, nor can they view the students screen.
For an iPad – ICT will require the AirWatch Agent application to be downloaded onto the iPad. This will then require the students to login using their username and password, which will then enroll the ipad into the AirWatch management server. This will allow the ICT team to automatically install the correct network settings (which can change frequently), as well as ensure the students receive secure & filtered network connectivity. ICT Staff cannot see any data on the student’s device, nor can they view the students screen.
For a Windows Laptop/Tablet – ICT will join the device to the schools network (domain), which will then allow the ICT team to automatically install the correct network settings (which can change frequently), as well as ensure the students receive secure & filtered network connectivity. ICT Staff cannot see any data on the student’s device, nor can they view the students screen.
Android devices & Chromebooks are unable to connect to the Nagle College network at this point in time, and therefore cannot be used in the BYOD programme.
If you have any questions about the BYOD program, please do not hesitate to contact the College via email, or alternatively via phone.